Saturday, December 20, 2008

Never say never

For many years I have maintained that I did not want any pets., that the only thing I need to feed on a regular basis is a wife.
Guess What!! My day starts when I open the door to get my paper. Kitty greets me with a hearty "Meow" and climbs to the shelf where his dish is located. After a bite or two, Kitty walks me to the street to pick up the paper.
I havent been able to teach him how to "fetch" yet, He is also King of the barn, showing up any time I make noise to disturb his solitude.
On the way back from the street, the big white rooster sounds off , reminding me that they haven't been fed or let out into the big pen. Off I go to satisfy that demand. Of course , they do give 3-5 eggs each day.
Then, Shelley will show up on my porch at any time of day, expecting to receive a dog biscuit which he thinks is due just because he occasionally barks at the UPS truck or the meter reader when they are only doing their job.
If I didn't enjoy their company, I wouldn't do these things but maybe I,m getting soft in the head in my old age. You guess?? I never said "never"

2 comments:

Susan said...

Maybe you were just so busy raising all of us that a pet was the last thing you needed. Now that we are raised (notice I did not say "grown up")you have the time to indulge the love you have always had for animals. I remember your stories about your animals at the county fair.

Carol said...

You got soft in the head when you had grandchildren and great grandchildren. These new pets have just managed to ride along on their coat tails.

But, you've got a nice soft head.